Local search engine optimization (SEO) is a vital component of any online marketing strategy. When properly utilized, your strategy could help direct people in your community to your practice or business. Unfortunately, in the quest to improve rankings, people often fail prey to common myths, especially when it comes to citation building. We’re here to dispel a few of the more common myths we’ve run into.
5 Common Myths About Citation Building and Local SEO
- Any Difference in Your Business Name Hurts: Not necessarily! Even if your business’s name varies in different citations as long as your phone number and address are the same, Google’s algorithm will know it’s you and prevent duplicate listings.
- Fixing NAP (name, address, phone number) Issues Means Fixing Every Mention of Your Business Online: If you need to adjust your NAP information, seeing your business listed hundreds of times on different sites can be overwhelming. However, in most cases the majority of the mentions can be traced back to a single site. This article explains how changing your NAP on sites like local.com can immediately change hundreds of other mentions.
- Google My Business Counts as a Citation: Not true! Since the Google My Business listing information is pulled from other citations, it actually doesn’t count as one. You still need other accurate ones out there!
- Citation Building is the Only Linking Strategy That Counts: Nope. While it is important, ranking well in the 3-pack means incorporating other strategies as well. You never put all your eggs in one basket, especially in the world of SEO.
- You Must Include Your Suite Number: Actually, every site approaches the suite number in a different way. As a result, Google really doesn’t factor them in. You can have them, or not. As long as the location address is accurate, your rankings won’t tank and people will be directed to your building.
Need a new and better website, or want to learn how you can become a noticeable online presence? Do you have questions about online marketing strategies or SEO? We can help! Send MDPM an email: [email protected], or give us a call at 972-781-8861. Talk to our team today!