They also have the added benefit of not sticking to your braces or dental work. Feel free to share this recipe with your patients.
Caramel Apple Cookies
* 1/2 cup butter, softened
* 1-1/4 cups packed brown sugar
* 1 tsp. baking soda
* 1 tsp. apple pie spice
* 1/4 tsp. salt
* 1 egg
* 1/2 cup apple juice or milk
* 2-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
* 1/4 cup whole wheat flour or all-purpose flour
* 1 large tart apple (about 1 cup)
* 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
* 3 Tbsp. butter
* 3 Tbsp. apple juice
* 2-2/3 cups powdered sugar
* 1/2 cup finely chopped pecans, toasted
1. In a large mixing bowl beat 1/2 cup butter with an electric mixer on medium to high speed for 30 seconds. Add 1-1/4 cups brown sugar, baking soda, apple pie spice, and salt. Beat until well combined, scraping sides of bowl occasionally. Beat in egg until well combined. Add 1/2 cup apple juice; beat on low speed until combined (mixture will look curdled). Beat in as much of the flours as you can with the mixer; stir in any remaining flour. Fold in apple.
2. Drop dough by slightly rounded teaspoons 2 inches apart cookie sheets. Bake in 350 degree F oven about 10 minutes or until tops are lightly browned.
3. In a small saucepan heat and stir 1/2 cup brown sugar, 3 tablespoons butter, and 3 tablespoons apple juice over medium heat until sugar dissolves. Remove from heat. Whisk in powdered sugar. Spread frosting on cooled cookies and immediately sprinkle with pecans.