What makes you read an article about business? You want to know how it can help your business.
When I read blogs by dentists, I often wonder if they’re really thinking about their patients when they brainstorm topics to write about. Patients aren’t highly interested about your CEs, nor do they really care what you think about the latest technology. What they want to know is what we all want to know, what’s in it for me?
When you blog, think about presenting information in a way that highlights the benefits to the patient. Open with a question, a relevant fact, or a very pointed thought—something to grab the reader’s attention. These topics are of great interest to readers, particularly in a blog focused on benefits to the patient. And remember, you should blog twice a week at a minimum. If you do not have time to blog, Modern Dental Practice Management offers affordable blog packages that will boost your SEO rankings and draw in new patients.
- Case Studies – Always use photos, add a testimonial if you can, and list what the client’s needs were. Include a synopsis of procedures. The words in the text will do well with search engines. A picture is only worth a thousand words to humans, not Google, Bing, Yahoo, and other search engines.
- Testimonials – In Texas, testimonials are frowned upon by the TDA, but they’re fair game in other states. Even if you use video testimonials, always include a typed script for the search engine spiders.
- Services – Many patients are unaware of all the procedures you offer. Topics like porcelain veneers, Invisalign, teeth whitening, mercury-free dentistry, dental implants, and smile makeovers do well with potential and existing patients, as well as search engine spiders.
- Practice News – To keep it personal, include an occasional blog about what’s going on in the office. Examples would be births, birthdays, new staff members, weddings, and thanks to patients who sent you referrals.
- Technology News – If you add digital X-rays to your practice, tell patients why. The same goes for digital imaging, early oral cancer detection, laser dentistry, and other innovative dental technology. Just remember, don’t focus on why these tools are good for you or dentistry in general, focus on the benefits to patients.
- Special Offers – Everyone loves a deal. While you don’t want to belittle that your procedures are worth top dollar, you can get patients in for recall or win referrals by offering incentives. New patient incentives are great, but don’t forget to give special offers to your loyal patients.
- Community Events – The Internet is worldwide. Your practice is local. Even if you have some patients who travel hundreds of miles or overseas for your services, statistics show that most of your patients will come from a 12-20 mile radius. By posting on local events, activities, and news, even once a month, you’ll get loyal blog followers and you’ll enrich your blog with keywords that appeal to local web surfers.
- Onsite Events – An onsite event is a great way to invest in the community and get the word out about your practice. You should schedule at least two events per year, but quarterly is even better. Promote your events in a blog, then post the blog to local blog feeds. A ton of promotion outside of your blog will also be required for a successful onsite event.
- Financing & Insurance – In this economy, everyone has finances on the mind. Blogs about CareCredit and other financing institutions you work with will appeal to families who want to prioritize dental care but hesitate because of cost. Around October, be sure to post a blog that reminds patients to use their dental benefits before they start over in January.
- Dental News – This is a tricky topic. While news in dentistry is relevant to your readers, they need easy-to-understand information that focuses on the benefit to them. As a dentist, the news you find highly interesting may not be as interesting to patients. Readers may want to know that you do an oral cancer screening because early detection can literally save their lives—but they aren’t very interested in learning which dental supplier is introducing a new laser.
You don’t have to blog, but you need a blog. Your practice’s online presence will be enhanced to potential patients and existing patients, which is always good. In addition, a blog will greatly improve your SEO if it’s suffering. By focusing heavily on keywords you want to be found for, Modern Dental Practice Marketing can get you new dental patients with a professionally designed and composed dentistry blog. Call us today at 972-781-8861 or email [email protected] for more information or to schedule a complimentary website analysis and consultation! In addition to blogs, we offer website creation, branding and logo design, event planning and management, direct mail, and community marketing. We take a unique approach to dental marketing, with emphasis on Internet and community projects. Give us a call today. We’re in the business to make dentists smile.